Volpi USA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Swiss-headquartered Volpi AG. Founded over sixty years ago in Urdorf, Switzerland, the company is a privately held entity. As a privately held company, Volpi has a long-term orientation and is in the mist of implementing a clearly defined market strategy as a preferred specialty OEM solution provider to its target customers.
Volpi’s core competencies are in the development and production of fiber optic and optoelectronic components as well as customer-specific OEM subsystems. Volpi’s products and solutions offer long-term competitive advantages to global corporations as well as companies operating on a regional basis. Known by its clients for its competence and quality, and with committed and highly trained employees, Volpi is continually seeking to develop new innovations in the area of photonics thereby meeting the high-level requirements of its customers, whether biopharma, medical diagnostics, medical technology, image processing (machine vision) or the industrial endoscopy markets.
Mastering light and harnessing its technical possibilities is the foundation for many developments that shape peoples’ lives today, from LED lighting, imaging sensors and light and color measurement all the way up to RGB lasers. Since it brought the first LED light sources onto the market about fifteen years ago, Volpi has continuously furthered its development work in optics, electronics and photonics with considerable successes. With locations in Schlieren, Switzerland, and Auburn, New York, Volpi is well positioned to serve the major companies in the life sciences and image processing sectors.
The Auburn manufacturing and technical facility located in the Auburn Technology Park, located approximately thirty miles west of Syracuse, NY, was first established thirty seven years ago. It was subsequently completely upgraded twenty two years ago. ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 certified and class 5 clean-room production capable, the Auburn facility provides R&D capabilities in systems, optical, mechanical, electronic, and software engineering, and thermal management in joint effort with Volpi Switzerland. From a manufacturing standpoint, the facility’s engineers and technical staff provide resource planning, project management, product lifecycle, and, depending on the requirements, can provide its clients with products through automated or manual production means.
Based on Volpi’s existing core technologies, long-term production partnerships have been established with various entities, including top-tier life science companies. Deeper integration of the various proprietary technologies and technological components have also led Volpi to be in a preferred position as a sole system supplier through long-term OEM contracts.
More information is available at www.volpiusa.com.
Business Development Director at Volpi USA
Head of Sales & Marketing, based in Switzerland
Ideally based in the Northeast of the United States, the Sales Managerill be responsible for growing what is already a successful ongoing business in the region. The newly created position will be responsible for sales to selected customers in the United States and Canada. With the collaboration of the Auburn and Schlieren teams of engineers and application specialists, the Sales Manager will be an key player to drive Volpi’s efforts to win new customers and business in the region while maintaining high profitability of the various solutions that are being offered to existing and future clients.
The performance and contributions of the Sales Manager will forge the growth and success of Volpi for years to come. As business growth dictates, it is anticipated that this position will be responsible for the build-up of a sales and, as required, a field-based service organization that will support the needs of Volpi’s life sciences clients
Specific responsibilities include the following
- In close coordination with the senior management identify and develop target clients and develop OEM opportunities into significant business.
- Rapidly become a ‘team member’ with the existing organization while concurrently earning the leadership and respect that goes with this position through competence, intellect and insight.
- Develop a sales funnel of engineering and OEM projects, monitor and ensure adequate amount of leads feeding the funnel and ensure selling methods of high acquisition opportunities
- Develop an expansion of the consulting/engineering/manufacturing services currently in place with existing customers. Also, with existing customers, maintain an active customer relationship management process
- Understand and refine best success practice selling approaches. Utilize such processes
- Actively communicate back support needs to the Auburn and Schlieren-based support teams including a close collaboration in the development of technology and product portfolios
- Manage the overall project management of key client projects and ensure that the organization receives the correct information to build accurate forecasts
- Make compelling presentations to customers
- Arrange the demonstration for the customers together with application team
- Assist marketing/communications activity to increase leads and opportunities such as captaining trade shows/exhibitions or organizing workshops
- Identify trends in the target markets as well as communicate competitive information back to the appropriate channels
The Business Development Director will hold a BS, MS or PhD Degree preferred in one or more core engineering disciplines or in applied sciences such as physics, optics, material science or physical chemistry. A BS with additional or direct, Industry-relevant Sales experience may substitute for a higher Degree. S/he will have a minimum of 5++ years of B2B Sales experience into life science organizations with proven track-record in the acquisition of new OEM contracts. Although not a requirement, experience in optoelectronics/ engineering would be preferred.
Specific candidate requirements for the Business Development Director include the following
- Proven (hands on) –experience- and track record in the acquisition of new OEM contracts
- Experience and understanding of multi-level selling strategies to complex, and large organisations
- Experience in cross-functional collaboration during acquisition and processing of OEM projects (CTO, Development, Strategic Procurement, Contract Manufacturing, Executive Management, etc.)
- Very good knowledge of the target markets and key customers in the life science and med-tech industry; understanding of the appropriate business logic and culture
- Entrepreneurial thinking and acting with a focus on "Value Creation for the customer and Value Capturing for the enterprise"
- Understanding of technologically sophisticated solutions and the development of complex systems in collaboration with various partner companies
- Strong ability to communicate and to establish sustainable networks
- Experience in the design of cooperation models and contracts and high negotiating skills in difficult situations as experience in working in a small to medium sized company environment with defined resources and is used to taking an active role in ‘making things happen’
- Manifests a high degree of personal responsibility and natural drive to build targeted new customer contacts
- An excellent team player, thinks beyond his/her area of responsibility, always in the interest of the whole group
- Winning and convincing appearance with excellent representation skills and trustworthiness
- Strong customer orientation and sharp analytical skills to interpret the customer specific context correctly
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as well as motivational and natural powers of persuasion – (able to inspire customers immediately)
- Excellence in implementation and above average target and results orientation
- Very high level of commitment, discipline, perseverance and resilience
- Special affinity for the life science and med/tech industries
- Displays a natural authority and engaging social skills; is open and straight forward in approach
- Will have low emphasis on status but wants to make a difference through impact and performance
- Willingness to travel by approximately 50%
An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. Our client is an equal opportunity employer.