Director Business Development (100%)
About the Company
Volpi USA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Swiss-headquartered Kumax Holding AG. Founded over sixty years ago in Urdorf, Switzerland, the company is a privately held entity and part of Volpi Group, together with its sister company Volpi AG in Schlieren, Zurich, Switzerland. As a privately held company, Volpi has a long-term orientation and is in the midst of implementing a clearly defined market strategy as a preferred specialty OEM solution provider to its target customers.
Volpi’s core competencies are in the systems engineering, development and production of customer-specific OEM subsystems. Volpi’s products and solutions offer long-term competitive advantages to global corporations as well as companies operating on a regional basis. Known by its clients for its competence and quality, and with committed and highly trained employees, Volpi is continually seeking to develop new innovations in the area of photonics thereby meeting the high-level requirements of its customers specifically in in-vitro diagnostics, life science research tools and medical technology.
Mastering light and harnessing its technical possibilities is the foundation for many developments that shape peoples’ lives today, from LED lighting, imaging sensors and light and color measurement all the way up to RGB lasers. Since it brought the first LED light sources onto the market about fifteen years ago, Volpi has continuously furthered its development work in optics, electronics and photonics with considerable successes. With locations in Schlieren, Switzerland, and Auburn, New York, Volpi is well positioned to serve the major companies in the IVD and life sciences.
The Auburn manufacturing and technical facility located in the Auburn Technology Park, located approximately thirty miles west of Syracuse, NY, was first established thirty-seven years ago. It was subsequently completely upgraded twenty-five years ago. ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 certified and class 5 clean-room production capable, the Auburn facility provides R&D capabilities in systems, optical, mechanical, electronic, and software engineering, and thermal management in joint effort with Volpi Switzerland. From a manufacturing standpoint, the facility’s engineers and technical staff provide resource planning, project management, product lifecycle, and, depending on the requirements, can provide its clients with products through automated or manual production means.
Based on Volpi’s existing core technologies, long-term production partnerships have been established with various entities, including top-tier life science companies. Deeper integration of the various proprietary technologies and technological components have also led Volpi to be in a preferred position as a sole system supplier through long-term OEM contracts.
More information is available at www.volpi-group.us
The Canidate reports to
The Executive Vice President of Business Development & Marketing for the Volpi Group, based in Switzerland.
Ideally based close to Volpi USA in Upstate New York, United States, the Director Business Development will be responsible for the diversification of Volpi’s customer portfolio by winning additional strategic key accounts in the target markets In-Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) and Life Science Research. With the collaboration of the Auburn and Schlieren, Switzerland teams of engineers and application specialists, and key account management personnel at Volpi USA, the Director Business Development will drive Volpi USA’s efforts to grow the business through winning and expanding business with major IVD and Life Science companies, primarily in the USA.
Specific Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop the sales funnel of engineering and OEM projects further, monitor and ensure adequate amount of leads feeding the funnel and ensure selling methods of high acquisition opportunities
- In close coordination with the EVP of business development and marketing, provide the leadership, intellectual impetus and urgency to further develop and implement the sales strategy that will enable Volpi to maximize the value of its rich base of technology and know-how assets. Be a part of an integrated approach with senior management, research, technology, engineering, manufacturing, finance and other business functions to co-formulate a strategy that will lead to accelerated growth within the target markets.
- Rapidly become a ‘team member’ with the existing organization while concurrently earning respect that goes with this position through competence, intellect and insight
- Develop an expansion of the consulting/engineering/manufacturing services currently in place with existing customers in close collaboration with the responsible Key Account Managers. Understand and refine best success practice selling approaches, and utilize such processes
- Actively communicate back support needs to the Auburn and Schlieren, Switzerland-based support teams including a close collaboration in the development of technology and product portfolios
- Manage the commercial program management of key client projects and ensure that the organization receives the correct information to build accurate forecasts
- Make compelling presentations to customers
- Arrange the demonstration for the customers together with application team
- Assist marketing/communications activity to increase leads and opportunities such as captaining trade shows/exhibitions and organizing workshops
- Identify trends in the target markets as well as communicate competitive information back to the appropriate channels within the company
The Director Business Development will hold a MS or PhD degree preferred in at least one engineering discipline or in applied sciences such as physics, optics, material science, physical chemistry, molecular biology and biophysics. A BS with additional industry-relevant Business Development/Sales experience may substitute for a higher degree. S/he will have a minimum of 10+ years of B2B Sales experience into IVD and life science research companies with a proven track record in the acquisition of new OEM contracts. Although not a requirement, experience in optoelectronic components and solutions combined with systems engineering would be preferred.
Specific Candidate Requirements for the Director Business Development include the following:
- A true hunter mentality
- Proven (hands on) –experience- and track record in the acquisition of new OEM contracts
- Experience and understanding of multi-level selling strategies to complex, and large organisations
- Experience in cross-functional collaboration during acquisition and processing of OEM projects (CTO, Development, Strategic Procurement, Contract Manufacturing, Executive Management, etc.)
- Very good knowledge of the target markets and key customers in the IVD and life science research industry; understanding of the appropriate business logic and culture
- Entrepreneurial thinking and acting with a focus on "Value Creation for the customer and Value Capturing for the enterprise"
- Understanding of technologically sophisticated solutions and the development of complex systems in collaboration with various partner companies
- Strong ability to communicate also at the C-Level and to establish sustainable networks
- Experience in the design of cooperation models and contracts and high negotiating skills in difficult situations
- Experience in working in a small to medium sized company environment with limited resources
- Is used to taking an active role in ‘making things happen’
- Manifests a high degree of personal responsibility and natural drive to build targeted new customer contacts
- An excellent team player, thinks beyond his/her area of responsibility, always in the interest of the whole group
- Winning and convincing appearance with excellent representation skills and trustworthiness
- Strong customer orientation and sharp analytical skills to interpret the customer specific context correctly
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as well as motivational and natural powers of persuasion – (able to inspire customers immediately)
- Excellence in implementation and above average target and results orientation
- Very high level of commitment, discipline, perseverance and resilience
- Special affinity for the IVD and life science research industries
- Displays a natural authority and engaging social skills; is open and straight forward in approach
- Will have low emphasis on formal status but wants to make a difference through impact and performance
- Willingness to travel by at least 50%
An attractive sompensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. Volpi is an equal opportunity employer.
5 Commerce Way
Auburn NY 13021